Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Thing 20, books 2.0

People are always going to want to hold a paper page. Maybe not every book, but from time to time.
I am fascinated by the Kindle, and keep trying to justify buying one. Right now I just cannot. But if ever you could buy a kindle but get the books for free or much cheaper from your library I would and could justify the purchase.
I think this is going the be something libraries will offer in the future. I think that someone will design a device that will allow downloading of ebooks or however the technology will evolve.
Right now we are at a technological crossroad. So much more information is available to everyone.
Now when you get sick, you google it, webmd it or whatever and you can know as much as your Dr when you go in for treatment.
Educating your child is the same.. there is no more mystery. The parents can know what to expect and when. Being prepared is so easy.
So, I do see a some changes, but more than ever people are reading. And spelling is more important than ever when doing a search! And for once, handwriting does not count!
I see great things for the Libraries of the future. We must be nimble and quick to provide what is needed. And really resourceful to do it in a very tough economic climate.
For helping Patrons now I love whatsnext and what do I read next. I love the patron who comes in asking for the red book with the flower that someone or other talked about on some talk show. It can be fun to figure it out. ( if there is time!)
Nuturing young readers and making a Library a social safe place is just the beginning for making the Library the heart of any community. At my Branch there are Gamer days that bring a lot of kids and families into the branch. Someday the money will be there to follow our dreams and build all the necessary sites and spaces online to stay connected to our new Patrons.

1 comment: